May 10th, 2018 by Oscar

Even if you don’t travel for work (but especially if you do), you should explore what QuickBooks Online’s mobile app has to offer.

You already know how convenient it is to be able to access your company’s financial data from any desktop or laptop computer that has an internet connection. Still, there are times when you’d like to be able to complete some of your accounting tasks without firing up a full-blown browser and logging on to QuickBooks Online.

If you haven’t yet tried out the site’s companion mobile app, you might be surprised at how much you can actually accomplish on your smartphone.

You can’t do everything on QuickBooks Online’s smartphone app that you can do in the browser-based version, but there’s a surprising amount of functionality here.

Once you’ve downloaded the app and signed in with your QuickBooks Online user name and password, you’ll see a home page divided into two vertical sections; you can toggle back and forth between them. One is your Dashboard, which displays current account balances and a graph showing an abbreviated version of your Profit and Loss report, as well as a graphical summary of paid and unpaid invoices. Click on Activity to see a list of your most recent actions and transactions.

Click on the three horizontal lines in the upper left of the screen, and the app’s main menu slides out. As pictured in the image above, this interactive list also serves as the app’s primary navigation tool. Any data that you’ve entered in the browser-based version (as well as anything you add here) will appear in list form when you click on an entry here. To add customers, invoices, sales receipts, etc., click on the + (plus) sign. You can also enter new transactions from each individual list screen.


January 5th, 2018 by Oscar

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on Jan. 29, with nearly 155 million individual tax returns expected to be filed in 2018. The nation’s tax deadline will be April 17 this year – so taxpayers will have two additional days to file beyond April 15.

Although the IRS will begin accepting both electronic and paper tax returns Jan. 29, paper returns will begin processing later in mid-February as system updates continue. The IRS strongly encourages people to file their tax returns electronically for faster refunds.

The IRS set the Jan. 29 opening date to ensure the security and readiness of key tax processing systems in advance of the opening and to assess the potential impact of tax legislation on 2017 tax returns.

The IRS reminds taxpayers that, by law, the IRS cannot issue refunds claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) before mid-February. While the IRS will process those returns when received, it cannot issue related refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards starting on Feb. 27, 2018, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with the tax return.

The IRS also reminds taxpayers that they should keep copies of their prior-year tax returns for at least three years.

The filing deadline to submit 2017 tax returns is Tuesday, April 17, 2018, rather than the traditional April 15 date. In 2018, April 15 falls on a Sunday, and this would usually move the filing deadline to the following Monday – April 16. However, Emancipation Day – a legal holiday in the District of Columbia – will be observed on that Monday, which pushes the nation’s filing deadline to Tuesday, April 17, 2018. Under the tax law, legal holidays in the District of Columbia affect the filing deadline across the nation.



December 18th, 2017 by Oscar

Employers face a January 31, 2018, due date for filing 2017 Forms W-2 and W-3 with the Social Security Administration. This date applies to both electronic and paper filers. 

Form 1099-MISC is due to the IRS and individuals by January 31 when reporting non-employee compensation payments in box 7. 

Penalties for failure to file correct information returns or furnish correct payee statements have increased and are now subject to inflationary adjustments. These increased penalties are effective for information returns required to be filed after December 31, 2015. 


November 15th, 2017 by Oscar

El Servicio de Impuestos Internos, IRS, les recuerda a los trabajadores de ingresos bajos y moderados a planificar ahora para obtener un crédito en sus impuestos de 2017. Un alivio tributario especial puede ayudar a personas de ingresos bajos y moderados a ahorrar para su retiro. Se llama el Crédito del Ahorrador y puede significar un crédito de hasta 50 por ciento por los primeros $2,000 que una persona contribuya a su plan de retiro.

También conocido como el Crédito de Contribución de Ahorros para el Retiro, este crédito ayuda a compensar parte de la suma que los trabajadores voluntariamente contribuyen a su plan IRA tradicional o ROTH, a su plan 401(k) o 403(b), y a otros programas similares de retiro del lugar de trabajo.

Los contribuyentes con un IRA tienen hasta la fecha límite de su declaración de impuestos de 2017 (17 de abril de 2018) para contribuir al plan y calificar para 2017. Sin embargo, las contribuciones (aplazamientos electivos) a un plan auspiciado por el empleador deben hacerse para fin del año para calificar para el crédito. Empleados quienes no pueden separar el dinero para este año podrían programar las contribuciones de 2018 lo antes posible para que su empleador pueda empezar a retenerlas en enero.

El Crédito del Ahorrador puede ser reclamado por:

  1. Casados que presentan conjuntamente con ingresos de hasta $62,000 en 2017 o $63,000 en 2018
  2. Jefe de familia con ingresos de hasta $46,500 en 2017 o $47,250 en 2018
  3. Solteros e individuos casados que presentan por separado con ingresos de hasta $31,000 en 2017 o $31,500 en 2018

Para calificar para el crédito, la persona debe:

  1. Tener 18 años o más
  2. No ser un estudiante de tiempo completo
  3. No haber sido reclamado como dependiente en la declaración de otra persona

Como otros créditos tributarios, el Crédito del Ahorrador puede aumentar el reembolso del contribuyente o reducir la suma de impuestos adeudados. Aunque el máximo del Crédito del Ahorrador es $1,000 ($2,000 para parejas casadas), el IRS advirtió que frecuentemente es mucho menos y podría ser de cero para algunos contribuyentes.

La suma del crédito se basa en el estado civil tributario, el ingreso, la responsabilidad tributaria en general, y la cantidad contribuida al plan de retiro. También podría ser impactado por otros créditos y deducciones o reducido por cualquier distribución reciente de un plan de retiro.

Para reclamar el crédito, el contribuyente debe completar el Formulario 8880 y adjuntarlo a su declaración de impuestos. El Formulario 8880 no puede usarse con el Formulario 1040EZ.

En el año tributario 2015, el año más reciente del cual existen cifras disponibles, más de 8.1 millones de declaraciones individuales reclamaron un total de casi $1.4 mil millones del Crédito del Ahorrador.

El Crédito del Ahorrador también puede sumarse a otros beneficios tributarios disponibles a personas quienes contribuyen a su retiro; la mayoría de los trabajadores también pueden deducir contribuciones a un IRA tradicional.


November 13th, 2017 by Oscar

Taxpayers who use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number should check to see if their number expires this year. If it does, and they need to file a return in 2018, they should submit an application now to renew their ITIN. Doing this helps avoid tax refund and processing delays next year. The IRS issues ITINs to people who are not eligible for a Social Security number, but who need to file a tax return.

Taxpayers who have not used their ITIN to file a federal return at least once in the last three years will see their number expire Dec. 31, 2017. ITINs with middle digits 70, 71, 72 or 80 will also expire at the end of the year. These taxpayers should renew their ITIN if they will have a filing requirement in 2018. Additionally, taxpayers whose ITINs have middle digits 78 or 79 that have expired should renew their ITIN if they will have a filing requirement. Other taxpayers with ITINs do not need to take any action.

To renew an ITIN, a taxpayer must complete a Form W-7 and submit required documentation. There are three ways to submit this information. Taxpayers can:

  1. Mail the package to the IRS address listed on the Form W-7 instructions. The IRS will review the documents and return them within 60 days.
  2. Make an appointment at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

Taxpayers with an ITIN that has the middle digits 70, 71, 72, 78, 79, or 80 do have the option to renew ITINs for their entire family at the same time. They can renew together even if family members have an ITIN with other middle digits. Family members include the tax filer, spouse and any dependents claimed on the tax return.


November 10th, 2017 by Oscar

El Servicio de Impuestos Internos, IRS, informó hoy a los contribuyentes acerca de los pasos que pueden tomar ahora para garantizar que su declaración de impuestos de 2017 se procese sin problemas y a la vez evitar un retraso en su reembolso el próximo año.

Reúna documentos

El IRS urge a todos los contribuyentes a presentar una declaración completa y precisa al asegurarse que tienen todos los documentos que necesitan antes de presentar su declaración y que incluye su declaración de 2016. Esto también incluye los formularios W-2 de empleadores, los formularios1099 de bancos y otros pagadores y los formularios 1095-A del Mercado para aquellos que reclaman el crédito tributario de prima. Hacer esto ayudará a prevenir retrasos en reembolsos y la necesidad de presentar una declaración enmendada más adelante en la temporada. Asegúrese de que cada empleador, banco u otro pagador tenga una dirección postal actual.

Normalmente, estos formularios comienzan a llegar en enero. Asegúrese de revisarlos cuidadosamente, y si alguna de la información que se muestra es incorrecta, comuníquese con el pagador para una corrección.

Los contribuyentes deben guardar una copia de la declaración de impuestos del año pasado (año tributario 2016) y todos los documentos de apoyo por un mínimo de tres años. Esto facilita el proceso de completar una declaración de 2017. A menudo, los contribuyentes que usan un producto de software por primera vez necesitan su monto de ingreso bruto ajustado (AGI) de la declaración de impuestos anterior para presentar electrónicamente su declaración de 2017.

Retraso de reembolso para aquellos que reclaman el EITC o ACTC

Por ley, el IRS no podrá emitir reembolsos a las personas que reclamen el Crédito Tributario por Ingreso del Trabajo (EITC) o el Crédito Tributario por Hijo Adicional (ACTC) hasta antes de mediados de febrero. La ley requiere que el IRS retenga todo el reembolso, incluso la parte no asociada con EITC o ACTC. El IRS anticipa que lo más temprano que los reembolsos relacionados con EITC / ACTC estarán disponibles en las cuentas bancarias o tarjetas de débito de los contribuyentes es el 27 de febrero de 2018, si se escogió el depósito directo y no hay otros problemas con la declaración. Este periodo adicional se debe a varios factores que incluyen el Día de los Presidentes y el tiempo adicional que necesitan los sistemas bancarios y financieros para procesar los depósitos. Este cambio de ley, que entró en vigencia a principios de 2017, ayuda a garantizar que los contribuyentes reciban el reembolso que les corresponde al darle a la agencia más tiempo para detectar y prevenir el fraude.

Como siempre, el IRS advierte a los contribuyentes que no confíen en obtener un reembolso para una fecha determinada, especialmente cuando realicen compras importantes o paguen facturas. Aunque el IRS emite más de nueve de cada 10 reembolsos en menos de 21 días, algunas declaraciones se retienen para su revisión posterior.




November 9th, 2017 by Oscar

In 2017, many taxpayers use their phones and computers to provide services and sell goods. This includes the use of sites and apps to rent a home to travelers, sell crafts, or to provide car rides. Taxpayers who do this may be involved in the sharing economy. Participating in the sharing economy may affect a person’s taxes.

Here are six things taxpayers should know about how the sharing economy might affect their taxes:

Taxes. Sharing economy activity is generally taxable. This includes:

  1. Part-time work.
  2. A side business.
  3. Cash payments received.
  4. Income stated on a Form 1099 or Form W-2.

Deductions. Some taxpayers can deduct their business expenses. For example, a taxpayer who uses a car for business use often qualifies to claim the standard mileage rate.

Rentals. Special rules apply to a taxpayer who rents out a home or apartment, but who also lives in it during the year.

Estimated Payments. Taxpayers can pay as they go, so they don’t owe. One way that taxpayers can cover the tax they owe is to make estimated tax payments during the year. These payments can help cover their tax obligation. Taxpayers use Form 1040-ES to figure these payments.

Payment Options. The fastest and easiest way to make estimated tax payments is through IRS Direct Pay. Taxpayers can also use the Treasury Department’s Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.

Withholding. Taxpayers involved in the sharing economy as an employee might want to review their withholding from that job and any other jobs they might have. They can often avoid making estimated tax payments by having more tax withheld from their regular paychecks. These taxpayers can file Form W-4 with their employer to request additional withholding.



November 8th, 2017 by Oscar

The IRS understands that taxpayers who owe money need choices on how they can make payments to the agency. IRS offers three easy ways to pay taxes. Taxpayers can pay online, by phone or with their mobile device using the IRS2Go app. Any time of the year is a good time for taxpayers to explore these payment options.

Additionally, some taxpayers must make quarterly estimated tax payments throughout the year. This includes sole proprietors, partners, and S corporation shareholders who expect to owe $1,000 or more when they file. Individuals who participate in the sharing economy might also have to make estimated payments.

Here are four options for taxpayers who need to pay their taxes. They can:

  1. Pay when they e-file using their bank account, at no charge from the IRS, using electronic funds withdrawal.
  2. Use IRS Direct Pay to pay their taxes, including estimated taxes. Direct Pay allows taxpayers to pay electronically directly from their checking or savings account for free. Taxpayers can choose to receive email notifications about their payments. The IRS remind taxpayers to watch out for email schemes. IRS Direct Pay sends emails only to users who requested the service.
  3. Pay by credit or debit card through a card processor for a fee. Taxpayers can make these payments online, by phone, or using their mobile device with the IRS2Go app.
  4. Make a cash payment at a participating 7-Eleven store. Taxpayers can do this at more than 7,000 locations nationwide. To pay with cash, visit and follow the instructions.
  5. Pay over time by applying for an online payment agreement. Once the IRS accepts an agreement, the taxpayers can make their payment in monthly installments.



November 6th, 2017 by Oscar

With 10 million taxpayers a year facing estimated tax penalties, the IRS offers some simple tips to help prevent a surprise at tax time.

People pay taxes on income through withholding on their paycheck or through estimated tax payments. Taxpayers who pay enough tax throughout the year can avoid a large tax bill and penalties when they file their return.

Taxpayers should make estimated tax payments if: a) the tax withheld from their income does not cover their tax for the year, and b) they have income without withholdings. Some examples are interest, dividends, alimony, self-employment income, capital gains, prizes or awards.

Here are five actions taxpayers can take to avoid a large bill and estimated tax penalties when they file their return. They can:

Use Form 1040-ES. Individuals, sole proprietors, partners and S corporation shareholders can use  this form to figure estimated tax. This form helps someone calculate their expected income, taxes, deductions and credits for the year. They can then figure their estimated tax payments.

Use the Withholding Calculator on This tool helps users figure how much money their employer should withhold from their pay so they don’t have too much or too little tax withheld. The results from the calculator can also help them fill out their Form W-4.

Have more tax withheld. Taxpayers with a regular paycheck can have more tax withheld from it. To do this, they must fill out a new Form W-4 and give it to their employer. This is a good option for taxpayers who participate in a sharing economy activity as a side job or part-time business.

Use estimated payments to pay other taxes. Self-employed individuals can make estimated tax payments to pay both income tax and self-employment tax. Self-employment tax includes Social Security and Medicare.

Use Form W-4P. Generally, pension and annuity plans withhold tax from retirees’ payments. Recipients of these payments can adjust their withholding using Form W-4P and give it to their payer.


November 3rd, 2017 by Oscar

El Servicio de Impuestos Internos, IRS, les recordó hoy a los contribuyentes a quienes recientemente se les aplicó una multa de impuestos estimados para el año tributario 2016, que este es el momento de tomar los pasos para reducir o eliminar la multa para 2017 y años posteriores.

Cada año, a unos 10 millones de contribuyentes se les aplica la multa por pagos de impuestos estimados. En el 2015, el promedio de la multa fue de aproximadamente $130, pero en años recientes, el IRS ha visto un aumento en el número de contribuyentes a quienes se les aplica la multa. Este número saltó cerca de un 40 por ciento, de 7.2 millones en 2010 a 10 millones en 2015.

La mayoría de aquellos afectados podrían reducir o, en algunos casos, eliminar la multa si aumentan las retenciones o los pagos de impuestos estimados para lo que resta del año. Con planificación, los contribuyentes pueden evitar la multa.

Por ley, la multa de impuestos estimados generalmente aplica cuando un contribuyente paga una cantidad menor de su responsabilidad tributaria durante el año. La multa se calcula a base del índice de interés cobrado por el IRS sobre los impuestos adeudados.

Cómo evitar la multa

Para la mayoría de las personas, evitar la multa significa asegurar que al menos el 90 por ciento del total de su deuda tributaria se pague durante el año, ya sea por medio de retenciones de impuestos de nómina o de pagos estimados trimestrales. Excepciones a la multa y otras reglas especiales aplican a ciertos grupos de contribuyentes, tales como granjeros, pescadores, víctimas de hechos fortuitos o desastres, personas que recientemente sufrieron una discapacidad, personas que se hayan retirado recientemente, personas que basan sus pagos de acuerdo con el impuesto del año anterior y aquellos que reciben un ingreso de manera desigual durante todo el año.

Los contribuyentes deberían considerar aumentar la cantidad de impuestos que se les retiene en 2017, especialmente si tuvieron una deuda grande cuando presentaron su declaración de impuestos de 2016. Los empleados pueden hacer esto al llenar un nuevo Formulario W-4 y entregárselo al empleador. Asimismo, beneficiarios de pensiones y anualidades pueden hacer este cambio en el Formulario W-4P y entrégaselo al pagador.

En cualquiera de los casos, los contribuyentes típicamente pueden aumentar sus retenciones al reclamar menos ajustes en su formulario de retenciones. Si no es suficiente, también pueden pedir al empleador o pagador que cada periodo de pago retenga una suma fija adicional.

Aquellos contribuyentes que reciben beneficios de Seguro Social, compensación por desempleo, y ciertos pagos del gobierno también pueden elegir que se les descuente el impuesto federal al llenar un Formulario W-4V y entregarlo al pagador. Ciertas restricciones aplican.

Para la mayoría o todos los contribuyentes cuyos ingresos no están sujetos a la retención, iniciar o aumentar una retención no es una opción. Sin embargo, pueden evitar la multa del impuesto estimado al hacer pagos trimestrales al IRS. En general, esto incluye ingresos de inversión—tales como interés, dividendos, ingresos por alquiler, regalías y ganancias capitales—manutención e ingresos por trabajos por cuenta propia. Puede que aquellos involucrados en la economía compartida también tengan que hacer estos pagos.